Thursday, September 17, 2015

Beginner's guide to La rentrée

It is mid September and life is back in Paris. This period called la rentrée starts in the beginning of September and I'd say it is already well on its way. The term rentrée does not translate well. Maybe you've never heard about it so if you are new to this keep on reading.
I know in English we refer to "back to school", but la rentrée covers much more. La rentrée is an annual shift in spirit and motivation. Everyone in France refers to this period of time constantly. Most procrastinators use it as the period of time where decisions must be made.
So school starts, most French people are back from holidays and in good spirits to follow through until the end of the year when new resolutions will be made. Also during this time, the streets are once again crowded in french cities like Paris. The shops and restaurants are back in business and the metros are packed from packed.

I am in awe of how fast the cold has once again returned to Paris after such a lovely summer, but I will not be complaining, no sir. Even though the French take much more vacation than people in many countries, I strongly feel that they are still giving 100% at work and demonstrating they are equally productive, with 5 weeks of vacation and all. Quality of life also does not lack here in France. The balance of life, work, family is pretty much proven to be a success. I am happy about that because I live here. So, batteries get charged on vacation to enable people to put on their best face in la rentrée.
A good time to start something
Like we make resolutions during the new year, the same applies to la rentrée. You make fitness goals, do some closet cleaning, focus on work projects, students go back to school and people like me try to blog more. Ok, at least have the intention to! This year I am also returning to school. French school! I'm pretty excited.
Apart from that, I've got a few things already in progress and I am pretty enthusiastic about them. Let's see how I'll be doing by Christmas!

Bon rentrée to all and have fun!